Tuesday, April 22

Battle of the Muffin Tuff Update... and then some....



So it was a while ago that I wrote a post declaring my war with being a fatty, and not only have I failed miserably, but horribly! I actually have gained weight since that post! So I have really hit the skids these last couple of weeks with yet again eye-openers that have made me realize once again that I need to improve my health situation. When a diabetic gains weight, it becomes more difficult to control one's blood sugar, and is even more damaging to one's self image.

One of those "aha!" moments came this morning when my husband and I had to go get physicals done for the foster parenting/adoption process. There came that inevitable and disdainful moment of stepping on the doctor's office oh so accurate digital weight scale. I just about keeled over. Then Brandon got on the scale after me. As we all know, he is totally on the lighter end of this marriage! So after he stepped on the scale, I wanted to crawl under a rock and never come out! And then it came to the Dr. asking me questions about my health, and when I answered them as honestly as I could, she wasted no time in letting me know I needed to wake up and pull my head out of the clouds and get with the program.

I also went to my Diabetes Support Group this evening, and it was just another reminder that I need to get my act together.

So enough about that, now it turns to this opportunity that has fallen into our laps in relation to our nephew. I have been in pretty consistent contact with the case worker in Twin Falls and we are going to drive up some time this weekend to spend some time with both of our nephews that are in foster care. We are excited, and are wanting to take advantage of this opportunity to establish as much of a relationship with this precious little boy as we can. This would only make any transition with bringing this sweetie into our home a little easier!



Another thing is that we have been looking around at baby furniture and bedding and heaven only knows what else we are going to need if we bring children into our home! We have been a little overwhelmed at how expensive it is to just set up house for little people! We are feeling a bit like a couple of fish out of water! But it will totally be worth it! I have found some deals at different stores/websites etc. It also helps to have a wise older sister that has been there, done that, and has about a million t-shirts when it comes to finding deals on a budget! I bought a really cute bedding set today too! So I am trying to take care of the emotional part of this in not getting overly excited or hopeful, and I am looking at this whole experience as being the opportunity to purchase things we are going to need in general just in being certified as foster parents, but also with the potential to become parents this year!

We'll just see, won't we?

4 comments:

Katie Voorhees said...

It just goes to show that the Bohemian Berthas are alive and well. I can't get on a scale with out a dose of valium first. Baby got back!

James and Lauren said...

yay! I know we had a kid and even so it has been expensive... trying to make everythign gender neutral... but the room we did is so cute now! Just look for sales... we also have been pickign up some clothes when they are on sale... that way if we get a kid in the middle of the night we have at least two sets of clothes and a sunday outfit for 0-3 years... people ahve been giving us clothes too which has been helpful... :)

Kurt & Rachel Keyser said...

We bought everything neutral too. If we end up having a girl the only thing besides clothes obviously is a double stroller. It's harder in Utah because people have tons of kids, but my sisterinlaw bought a really nice second hand crib. Looked brand new! Check out craiglist.org too!

Kurt & Rachel Keyser said...

I meant http:www.craigslist.org