Tuesday, September 16

Quite a Difference

Growing up in a warm weather climate I was always outside playing or playing sports. I was very active. I swam on the neighborhood swim team and loved playing volleyball in the Young Women, as well as basketball. I am still pretty good at volleyball, though just like any skill I have to get warmed up in order to even play decent. Let's just say that basketball has never come back to me in any shape or form. Swimming will forever be second nature to me. I have always loved the water, and can't wait for the day when I can teach my own kids.

During school, the only physically active things I did were the classes I took at the HPER building at USU. They only required 3 classes to graduate. After taking swimming twice, volleyball once, spinning (which I never went to) and yoga. I loved these classes. Walking all over campus was also a great way to stay in shape, because I naturally am a "hoofin' it" kind of person. I have never understood why people just saunter.

After graduating college, any physical activity came to a screeching halt. I even tried joining a health club but that was just a waste of money because I never went. This last summer, I decided that I was going to be more active. I started something I thought I would never do, and that was jogging. Not much improvement in the department of speed has occurred, but my distance without feeling like I am going to keel over dead has dissipated. I even ran my first 5K a week and half ago! It just about killed me, but much to my pleasant surprise, I wasn't even sore two days afterwards. And with another impending walk/run on the 27th, I am jogging or "hoofin it" every day in some form or another. I have really enjoyed the release that getting outside and being active has given me. Of course I have my own health reasons for do all this, but I am thrilled with the time it gives me to not think about my stress, or anything in general, I just focus on breathing and keeping a steady pace. Turns out I can walk and chew gum at the same time! (on rare occasions!)

Last Saturday, Brandon and I went down to SLC riding the FrontRunner in order to go to the Mountain Dew Tour's Freestyle Motocross finals. This was something Brandon had really wanted to do, so I went along with it though I thought it was pretty amazing myself. The skill (also insanity) required for some of the feats and tricks they did is tremendous. But while we were planning the day (meaning the trip down there, the walking, and the timing) Brandon made sure I was aware of the fact that there would be a lot of walking going on. Before this summer, I would have NOT been excited about that at all. I had gotten quite acclimated to my sedentary life on the couch eating my chocolate or commuting in my car inhaling my fast food. But's it's amazing how one can change this outlook by getting scary blood test results, and by choosing to eat healthier! I actually was excited to walk and get my blood pumping!

We walked a TON, but it was worth it. We had so much fun just being together and laughing and talking. But important also is the fact that I got my "activity" in for the day!

1 comment:

MH5 said...

Good for you! I think that's awesome!