Monday, September 14

Hair Woes of Yesteryear


Last Saturday Brandon and I went up to Brigham City, UT for their "Peach Days" carnival. We didn't actually make it to the carnival, but had a great time at a BBQ with the Deaf Branch we go to. It was a combined Cache Valley and Ogden BBQ. It was really great to see some people that we haven't seen in a very long time! But here's my point to the title of this post:

Like many activities with the Deaf (it's the truth, let's face it guys) the BBQ didn't start anywhere NEAR the time it was supposed to. This was not a great thing for my blood sugar. We get there and an hour goes by or preparation and I start to feel "drunk". My blood sugar was starting to plummet. I asked Brandon to come with me (thank goodness for that!) and we went to the closest gas station we could find. We get out of the car and walk in to the store. Not a minute after we walk in there and the cashier busts out "Oh my GOODNESS who does your hair?" I looked around seeing who she was talking to and realize she's talking to me! I had a sense of panic shiver up my spine because I got my hair cut just the day before. All I could say was "Oh no! Does it look that bad? I just got it cut yesterday and haven't had the chance to look at the back!"

She says "NO! That isn't what I mean. It actually looks like whoever did it did a great job!"

I say "PHEW! I you scared the (censored) out of me! I thought you meant to say it looked terrible!"

Lady: "No not at all, I am just wondering where you got it done? Was it here in Brigham? I have yet to find someone that cuts decent hair!"

Me: "No, sorry. I get my hair cut by the ladies at the Fantastic Sam's on 36th street in Ogden"

Lady: "I thought you were going to say that, I have gotten my hair cut twice here and they always screw it up!"

So this conversation went as such and it reminded me of the hair disasters I experienced. One of the WORST haircuts and colors I ever had done was in Brigham City actually.

It also reminded me of how we get up in the morning and do our hair only to go to the hair salon to have them wash it all over again cut and style it. One of my serious pet peeves about this is that I will go in and they cut my hair and don't blow dry it all the way, even when I try to ask them to blow dry it all the way because the natural wave can quickly turn into a natural disaster if they don't dry it all the way. I hate paying good and hard earned money PLUS a tip to someone that only minimally dries my hair and expects me to be happy!

My question to my readers (again, all 3 of you) is have you ever had a hair freakout over a bad haircut or color? If so, what happened?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I had a bad haircut -- When I was about 9 years old, my dad didn't like how I took care of my long hair. I never combed it. So my dad told me that I had to have it cut because I didn't take care of it well.

He chopped it off above my ears. I looked like a boy.

From then, I never want to cut my hair that short. :)

James and Lauren said...

so many i cant even count. the worst was the day before my engagement pictures... nothing i could do until after... so sad.

Melinda said...

My whole high school career was one BIG hair disaster. LOL

Erica Green said...

On my mission, I had really long hair for me. I wanted to go get it cut but my companion said "don't go somewhere, I'll cut it." I asked her whether she had cut hair before and she said that she had. so I said okay. It was terrible...a mullet with 3 layers! Oh I almost cried and then had to try and it fix it myself in the mirror. It turned out better, but I think that I missed some spots. ugh.

Amy said...

I watched my mission companion get a nightmare of a haircut. There wasn't a whole lot I could have done. Here's what happened:

Mission Companion: "Hey, would you leave my bangs long so I can tuck them behind my ears?"

Crazy Lady with Scissors: "Why? That would look dumb."

Whack.

We had a long evening in front of the mirror that evening.