Tuesday, November 10

After Nearly 5 Years.....A New Start


In 3 weeks, it will be 5 years since I have been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Since that time, I have had shot after shot after shot of my life giving insulin every time I eat. I have roughly given myself 4-5 shots of Novolog insulin (the insulin I "shoot up" every time I eat) and 1 shot of Lantus (the insulin I take every night before bed). If you times 5-6 shots daily for 365 days of the year (you don't get weekends off from diabetes :)) times 5 years that is roughly 9,125 shots I have given myself. And you know what? I am ready for a change. I am sick of feeling like a walking pin cushion. I am ready for the funny stares in public places every time I pull out the syringe and a vial of insulin, to stop. I am not ashamed of my disease, seeing as how it is a part of who I am, just ready for a change. Seeing as how a cure isn't in the works right now, the change I am ready for is still a miracle in and of itself.

I am grateful to be a PWD (person with diabetes) during a time of medicine and amazing technological advancements. 100 years ago, the diagnosis of diabetes was more or less a death sentence; now it's not. People with diabetes live in time of hope, meaning a time where diabetes is a very liveable disease and SO not a death sentence. Part of this hope is the change that I am now ready for. I am choosing to start insulin pump therapy. The pump is something that I was very opposed to for a while, but now that I have been educated on the subject, I can't believe that I didn't at least look in to the idea sooner! The pump primarily works to function somewhat like a normal pancreas, and helps with better control of the diabetes. I love that with just a few pushes of a button, instead of shot after shot, I can give myself the insulin to get the energy I need from the food that I eat.

The pump enables diabetics to live a more normal, healthier life. A common myth of people who use pumps is that their diabetes is "serious" or "really bad". This is not the case. The pump just allows people who choose to use it to have a better handle of keeping blood sugar within range to avoid complications later in life.

For the last week I have been using a "trial" pump to see if I would like it. And I can't say enough positive things about it. I feel better, have the control that I have needed for so long, and feel more confident in being able to take care of myself. What more could I ask for? I am on my second "trial" pump right now, testing different types of pumps to see which one I want to get. I have a few days to try it and see how I like it, then I will make the decision. Then the fun of dealing with insurance will come. Hopefully it will all work out!

Here's to a new start with my diabetes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

YAy! Hope you will find the pump you like and is affordable!