Sunday, November 1

Nightmare on 13th


So for the last 3 years we have gone to haunted houses. Being childless as of yet, it's how we celebrate our Halloween every year. I am not big in to Halloween like some people I know. I don't decorate, I don't pass out candy.. I don't do anything. I am your genuine Halloween scrooge. I could care less if there were no such holiday. In Utah, there is an abundance of haunted houses. There are the little kid ones, the amateur ones and the "supposedly" professional ones.

The entire month of October it is impossible to listen to just about any music radio station without hearing about the haunted houses in Utah. The commercials are genius and send chills down your spine, forcing suspicions in one's mind about the scary images one would encounter upon entering the haunt. I have heard awesome things about the Nightmare on 13th in Salt Lake. So we decided to check it out this year.

We decided it had been too long since we have hung out with our friends from college, Gary and Emmalee who are now living in Salt Lake City, and thought it would be fun to go to Nightmare on 13th. We went and had dinner with them at their cute little apartment, and then headed over to the well publicized haunt. We even bought VIP passes so we wouldn't have to wait in line.

Let's just say that after the overall experience, it was dissapointing. There were highlights here and there of things that were optical illusion cool, or things to make you scream here and there, but it wasn't at all as scary as I thought it would be. I didn't even have nightmares. Brandon and I agreed that the Haunted Hollow in Ogden was much better than Nightmare on 13th. But overall it was a fun time to hang out with old friends, have some laughs, some screams, the occasional swear word, and some dang good homemade apple pie. (I made my very first from scratch apple pie, and it was FABULOUS).

Here's my tangent (get this):
Already think I have issues? Here's a real humdinger....I can go to scary haunted houses, but I can't STAND to watch scary movies...they give me horrific nightmares. Movies are so much more realistic to me with the mix of suspense, music, and real-to-life stories that the images are somewhat embedded enough in to my brain to last through the night, not a pleasant experience.

No comments: