Wednesday, January 30

Inspiration

To say that on a near daily basis that I receive inspiration from the people that I meet would be pretty close to an understatement. Not because it is always by choice that I am able to be a part of people's lives, but more out of the ramifications of what I do in my line of work, am I somewhat of an integral part of the lives of those who are Deaf.

I once read a quoted expression of someone who is Deaf's feelings about interpreters, and it said something to the effect that interpreters are the Deaf people's keys to the locked doors of communication in a majority hearing people's world. If most but not necessarily all people who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing can attest to this, then I must say I am humbled and grateful to do what I do.

I have met so many people in my line of work who absolutely inspire me. I have met political figures, intellectual elite, doctors, nurses, cancer survivors, transplant patients, new moms, new dads, and even people who are losing their battles in this life.

I must admit that on a daily basis, I may not always think about how these people inspire me, but I am able to remember times where people have made me smile, have made me think of how blessed I am, to be grateful for what blessings I have, or even in some cases the things I don't have.

I have seen people remain ever positive through some of life's most difficult times and continuing to smile. I have seen the miracle of life. I have seen people come together to celebrate the life of someone who has passed on. I have seen fear replaced by a newly defined resolve in people's eyes. I have seen people endure blatant or ignorant discrimination; yet when they could get angry, they take it in stride and turn it into an educational opportunity for those giving the discrimination.

I can honestly say that I can't think of any other job I would rather be doing. This job increasingly helps me to be a better person, to be unassuming, to love and appreciate people. There are truly some rather difficult days; days when I walk out to my car, and cry; days terrible enough to make any preacyher swear... you get the idea. This job has its misgivings, and difficulties, but really what job doesn't?

And then there are the opportunities I have had to meet and get to know so many people in my everyday life that I am so blessed to know. Those of you who read this, I am so grateful to know all of y'all.

No comments: