Tuesday, January 29

Reflections

After a more than crazy day of work, here I sit on my couch thinking about how blessed I am to have the job that I do. Let me explain the reasons that I love my job, though my disclaimer is that no job is perfect, and that mine is something to be grateful for.

Reason #1: Variety Instead of the Mundane

My daily schedule is never the same. I don't have to sit in an office all day, (though commuting in my car may come close) typing and answering emails and phone calls. I tried the educational interpreter thing, and sitting in classrooms is something that I tried and definitely respect, though it isn't something I personally cater to. There is certainly a feeling of anticipation you get when driving to an appointment that you may not have done before. You always have the chance of learning something new. I for one have learned quite a bit from the medical field because of the medical situations I have been in.

Reason #2: The People

Again, if I were sitting in an office all friggin day, I wouldn't be able to meet a lot of people now would I? Nearly every day, I am able to meet and get to know new people. As an added bonus, I often have the opportunity to do what's called "team" interpreting for appointments that go for an extended amount of time. I work with absolutely amazing and experienced interpreters who teach me so much, and allow me to take mental notes (hehe, I am mental) of how they interpret things. There are definitely some laughs in this job. One thing I can say, is you are in the wrong profession if you are an interpreter that can not laugh at your mistakes.

Reason #3: The Education

Since last May, I have learned SO much about my chosen profession. I have built my vocabulary. I have learned how to deal with interesting situations and people that may come in to play during my day.

There are many more things that I want to post, but let's save that for later, because I am tired! I had a REALLY long day.

Tune in next time! ;)

No comments: