Thursday, August 7

Crafty Cathy Creations (my latest artsy fartsy creations)

As per my last post of excitement in sailing what are the uncharted waters of the craft world, I took advantage of the free time I have had to work on some things. They are simple projects though a little time consuming for various reasons. Last week, I was working in Salt Lake City for a job assignment and as I was driving (but really going nowhere) on north bound I-15 to come home, I realized I would rather spend my time looking for something fun to do rather than sit in traffic during rush hour and while Brandon was in Denver for the weekend with his Deaf softball team. I took the 2600 South exit to the Woods Cross/ Bountiful area and found a really cool store called Heartland Paper. Being so inexperienced in crafts and stuff, I walked in to the store and was immediately OVERWHELMED! Every where I looked, there were foreign gadgets for crafts, scrapbooking, interior decorating, and paper of every color of the rainbow, and just about any print you could dream up. The ladies there were so patient in explaining what certain things were used for. Up front I explained to them I had no idea what I was doing, and they took pity on me, because they ended up shadowing me almost the entire time I was there wandering curiously and aimlessly around their store. I completely fell in love with their store. It really is more of a scrapbooking store, but I found out that you can use the paper for all kinds of fun projects! So here is one of the projects I did with stuff I bought!
My last name in the fun colors and prints was fairly easy, but took some time to do. I bought these paper mashe (spelling?) letters and then traced them onto the paper, cut them out, glued them on the letters, then added some ribbon and buttons and stuff for accents. They turned out really cute! In the store where I got the idea, the letters were all generally the same color scheme, but didn't necessarily have to match. A couple of years ago, I bought some crafty things at a local craft store that was going out of business. I bought some really neat stencils, paints, and different wood pieces to eventually paint and either give away, or use in my own home. The only thing they did for a while was collect dust. Last year I painted the same type of wood cut out and hung it up in my 1/2 bathroom upstairs. It turned out really pretty. I was thinking how to use this one, and thought of my mom. She just moved in to a beautiful new house in Denver, and she has been so busy taking care of everyone else but herself since she got there that she hasn't had time to even decorate the house like she wants to. I asked her what colors she planned on using for her new kitchen and yellow and this pretty wine color are what she described. I hope she likes it. And yes, my carpet as a background is very special I know! I had a lot of fun doing these little projects. I am just so sad that my wood shelf didn't turn out.

No comments: