Sunday, November 2

Can Anyone Sympathize?

So today is November 2, and in two days the fate of the entire nation and our government will be voted upon and decided. This election is said to be one of the biggest and most controversial ever. Amidst all the public slander, mud-slinging, and other political garbage going on right now, I can't help but feel a little disenchanted with the entire idea of politics. I am not here to use my blog as showing my support for this or that issue, a certain political party, or even a candidate.

My big question is this "What happened to real politics?" It used to be that politicians took pride in their country and stood for real issues that the American public could understand and sympathize with. Candidates at any level, whether it be at the community, state, or national level had character and deeply rooted beliefs.

Today political figures exploit ways of appealing only to our emotions, or striking a chord with this issue or that issue. You only ever hear about the big time issues like the war, abortion, gay marriage, etc. But in fact I believe there are so many other underlying issues as well. Candidates look at each other and only talk about what the other person supports, or what they don't support. They make empty promises saying anything they can to get your vote. They dig up the skeletons out of each other's closets and do anything in their power to embarass or shame their opponent. Politicians used to be gentleman. They used to have class.

Please believe me when I say that I think it is so important to get out to the polls and vote. It is our God given right to do so. I just have to admit that I have become a little disenchanted with how things are run and done in elections. I don't like to know that if I vote for one candidate or the other, that I am possibly voting for the "lesser of two evils".

No comments: