Saturday, April 4

LA Here We Come!

Since the Utah Men's Basketball team did so well at their tournament in Seattle they earned their bid for the National tournament in Anaheim, CA. Originally we had planned that Brandon would probably fly out for that weekend, but plans changed about 2 or 3 weeks ago and I haven't posted anything about it yet!

Brandon and I were talking about his trip one evening after the boys were in bed, and as we got to talking he asked me if I wanted to go! Any chance at all of me going would entirely depend on being able to find what is called Respite Care for the boys. The foster care system recognizes that just as regular parents sometimes need a break to themselves on occasion so do foster parents when caring for foster kids. For every month that you have children in your home, you earn one day of "paid" days of respite care. Basically the boys are going to be left in another licensed foster home for a few days while Brandon and I take off for his tournament! I have already talked to the other foster mom and we are going to meet them some time this week to introduce the boys to her and her husband. We are super excited about this, and really hope it works out.

Some people might be thinking that we have only had the boys for 4 months and that I shouldn't be asking for respite care this early, but really, this whole thing has been overwhelming at times and I simply would just really like to be able to go and support my husband and his team, AND get the chance to go to my 2nd favorite state!

3 comments:

James and Lauren said...

We used respite care the first month... although idaho does it differently... you can get as much as you need when you need it. You just have to get it approved. Just like normal parents... sometimes you need a break.. :)

Kurt & Rachel Keyser said...

Have fun! Wish we lived closer to come and watch!

Tanya Wilde said...

Dang, I would use respite care every month if I got paid for it! Mom's definitely need breaks, that's for sure. Jordan and I usually go out every Friday night just to reconnect from the hectic busy week. CA sounds like so much fun!