Monday, November 30

Tender Mercies, Answered Prayers


I have neglected to mention how my Savior has blessed me personally in the last few months, and decided it's better late than never.

My grandpa died this evening of heart failure. It was only last Thursday that I saw him and celebrated Thanksgiving with him. He looked so good, even though as a family we knew that the doctors had decided there was nothing else they could do to prolong his life. He was quite talkative, even getting around better than I would have ever known to expect. He talked sports with the male members of our family, even going as far as to joke about his beloved Denver Broncos, calling them the Denver Donkeys for their lack-luster performance as of late.

To be truthful, my relationship with my grandpa was a timid, simple one. I didn't know him as well as I would like to have known him. I remember seeing him as a little girl, making visits with my mom and sisters to see him and my step-grandma who preceded him in death. I know things such as he was an occupational para-trooper soldier in Japan after WWII. He had an 8th grade education, having grown up on a farm with wild brothers. He drove buses to support his family. He loved to play cards. He loved to play bingo. He smoked for many years and quit, which says a lot about his strength of character. He was a very simple person, living frugally, but happily for many years until my step-grandma Jo died when I was a freshman in high school. She was his soul-mate, and now he is with her.

About a year and a half ago, my mom and uncle moved him out to a assisted living center in Denver. During this time, my mom was able to get to know him better than ever. He was never a talkative person, but shared a lot about his life with my mom. My mom considers this time a true gift as she didn't know much about her dad until recently. The residents of the center where he spent his final days loved him. He loved chocolate, and loved sharing it with the staff and cafeteria people. As of late, he enjoyed Hershey's Bliss Chocolate, some of which he shared with me just last Thursday. There are stories of him handing out chocolate to the cafeteria cooks so they would make him omelets for breakfast, or to staff who helped clean his apartment.

I didn't have the ideal relationship with my grandfather, but he was a good, sweet, and caring man. I am grateful for the knowledge that he didn't suffer, and that his passing was a quick one. Prayers were answered that he would not suffer terribly or for a prolonged period of time.

He will be missed by everyone who knew him. I am grateful for what I do know of him, and know that he is finally with my grandma Jo, after all these years without her. I am grateful for the knowledge that the Gospel gives me. I know I will see him again. I know that someday he and I will be able to know one another better, and forge a relationship that we weren't able to have in this life.

My dad said that his passing was a peaceful one. It is this peace that only God and the Savior can provide. Though it is a sad time for my family, my heart is full.

1 comment:

Tammie said...

I am sorry for your loss, but he is where he needs to be! I love you! I loved reading this!