Tuesday, January 5

Diabetes Presentation

Today I went to a local middle school and gave my first ever presentation on diabetes. I spoke to 4 different classes. I was a little hesitant to do this since my only memories of middle school was of hyper, defiant, unruly kids. But to my pleasant surprise, they kids were great. They were very respectful, and quiet....at times almost too quiet.

I had an outline for my presentation prepared, so the first class got what I would like to call the "rough draft". The kids were responsive to my questions, and asked lots of questions in return.
Then.....there was the second class of students. Everything went great, until I started talking about needles/syringes, and then a kid on the class decided to pass out. He totally slumped over in his chair, head fell back, eyes rolled into the back of his head, and color totally drained from his skin. A kid was sent to run to the front office to get some help, and the teacher and I got him to come to, and then offered him a trash can in case he threw up. Long story short, he was fine. He wasn't sure if it was the fumes from the freshly painted classroom or me talking about needles that made him sick.

And ALL I could think of was "oh great, I made him pass out talking about needles!" I wasn't even graphic or anything. He just blacked out. I felt so bad, and silently freaking out that this was my fault. The teacher just reassured me that I wasn't to blame. But how can you NOT feel bad?!!!

I am scheduled to go back sometime in April to the same school to talk about diabetes...I really hope I don't have the same effect on the students!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is awesome that you are helping others to learn more about diabetes! I am sure it wasn't your fault that that kid passed out. :) it is funny, tho. :)