Thursday, February 21

I am now Blonde, but not because they have more fun!

In the long run, I think that laughing at all those blonde jokes, and all the years of teasing my oldest sister Jenny for being blonde have caught up with me.

After some serious hair woes these last 4 months or so, I decided I had had it. After self-imposed/even "professional" botched hair jobs, I came out of my "blissfully unaware" state of mind (yes, it is possible for me to do that on occasion) and realized that I needed some serious help in fixing my hair's appearance. After the great hair disaster of Fall 2007, I still had to deal with the after effects of dyeing my hair. Luckily, I am not bald from the myriad of chemicals I have put on my head. Over a month or so ago, I tried going to get my hair highlighted in order to try to blend in some of the splotchy colors by stripping some of my hair with the bleach they use for highlights. As luck would have it, the gal that did my hair did the absolute worst job on my hair possible. She left chunks of blonde in my hair, and didn't weave the foils correctly to make a continuous pattern of highlights in my hair. Then when I asked her to go back and fix some of it, she left some of the highlights kind of an orange-y color. I couldn't wear my hair up for an entire month because she hadn't even taken the care to try to get to my roots evenly. So I suffered with REALLY bad hair for a little over a month. And this type of bad job could only brought to you by the WALMART salon! Then last Monday morning, I decided that I wanted to really strip my hair of the rainbow of colors. I went in to a professional hair salon and made sure that I clearly communicated what I wanted to the stylist. She ended up weaving blonde all over my head. She did end up leaving some brown in my hair because I didn't want to look like a Play Boy Bunny bleach blonde. And while it was a shock to see myself with much lighter hair in the mirror, she did a fantastic job.

I was afraid what Brandon was going to think, but he actually liked it. The next phase is hopefully letting my hair recover from yet more trauma and then dye it as close as possible to my natural color and then letting it grow out.

And another thing I am considering is getting contacts because I am sick of having dirty glasses and wiping them about every hour or so. But I don't know if my eyes will be able to handle contacts because they are kinda dry. It is just something that I am willing to try because glasses are such a hassle sometimes. There has even been once or twice that I really put on a show for my clients who are Deaf because while interpreting, I would sign something near my face and my glasses would fly off, or get nearly knocked off my face. Talk about my middle name being "grace".

That's all for now, tune in next time for the next Dopf Details!

2 comments:

Kurt & Rachel Keyser said...

I think you should post a picture of your blondeness...or come to Nick's farewell so we can see it in person!

Tim and Mary said...

Blondie! Pics?! Grinning in a friendly commiserating way. Now you've scared me. I was thinking of getting some highlights or lowlights or something different done to my hair. Ummm... second thoughts now.