Monday, December 15

The "Honeymoon" period is SO over!

In foster care classes, they warned us about what they call the "Honeymoon'" period. This is the time when children are first placed in your home, and they obey everything you say, behave themselves, etc. Well as of last Friday night for our 2 year old, we found that that was totally over! Brandon had text me earlier in the day asking if I wanted to go out to dinner with him and the kids. I text him back and was wondering if he was smoking something. But we went ahead with the plans anyway. That afternoon Hunter was incredibly moody and defiant. His favorite word is definitely the ever popular "NO!" you get from 2 year olds. I put him down (stupidly) for a very late nap. When he woke up he was even worse. We tried to explain to him that we were going to go bye bye and get something to eat. He absolutely didn't understand and this lead to the worst fit I have ever seen from any 2 year old in my life! He got on the kitchen floor and started wailing, kicking, and then came the first wave of blood-curdling screams! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. He had been so good up to that point. All Brandon had to do was look at me and say that he refused to take Hunter anywhere in that condition. I decided to go ahead and feed Hunter dinner, and then coerced him into going out for ice cream at the restaurant we went to. Let's just say that between keeping him happy, as well as the baby, there wasn't much adult conversation happening between Brandon and I. But nonetheless it was good to get out and not have to stay at home and cook.

Saturday morning, the baby woke up with a cold. And he has still been pretty happy, but yesterday and today were a little rough for the little guy. I felt so bad for him. When he breathes through his nose, he sounds like a little kitty cat purring. I am learning through what sometimes feels like mistake after mistake when it comes to parenting. I often realize that I really have no idea what I am doing sometimes. I am just grateful that some things are starting to become routine for us.

Another little accomplishment that Brandon and I are pretty proud of is that with Hunter's speech delays, we have taught him a bunch of signs! This has helped tremendously with the frustrations of communication! He is so dang cute when he signs! We are excited for this!

2 comments:

James and Lauren said...

haha... so sorry! Been there... done that... two year olds are hard A. is 2 and she has been qiute the hand full... :) good luck!

MH5 said...

Congratulations! You are officially a Parent! : )
I'm happy for the two of you!