Friday, November 12

Gratitude day

I've lost count of which gratitude day it is, but here goes.

I am appreciative of my knowledge American Sign Language. I started taking it in high school (feels like FOREVER AGO) as a freshman, and just kept taking classes. At that time you could only take it for 3 years in Texas, so my senior year I worked as a teacher's assistant in a Deaf Co-Op classroom with 3rd and 4th grade Deaf students. This was a great experience for me though the signed English (signs in English word order) set me back in developing more ASL related skills.

I moved to Logan, UT for college and as a freshman there met several of the Deaf students. I remember being so NERVOUS to approach them, as I hadn't met many Deaf adults. I developed friendships with many of them, as well as dated a few Deaf guys. I took more classes at USU where I learned more about ASL grammar, Deaf Culture, etc.

If I hadn't known any sign language I would never have made the friendships that are still with me today. I wouldn't have met Brandon, my sweet husband. I wouldn't have been able to learn more and more each time I hang out with friends that are Deaf. I wouldn't be able to use my skill to work and do what I love:interpreting. I wouldn't be able to teach Gospel Doctrine in the Deaf Branch we attend with out the use of an interpreter.

I have often been asked what ever lead me to take an interest in learning to sign. Questions asking if someone in my family was Deaf, if I knew someone Deaf, or if I have served an LDS ASL mission. It's none of the above (until I met Brandon of course). It just was something I have chosen to do. It just came naturally.

I am grateful for the knowledge, friendships, experience, and joy that knowing a second language has brought me in my life. The Lord has blessed me in countless ways because I was just too lazy to take Spanish in high school. ;)

1 comment:

Tammie said...

Yes, but Heavenly Father had a plan for you! You were meant for Brandon! THAT is why you became interested in ASL! As for me, I don't know why I was so interested in it, to just stop using it when I became a Mom. It was a bitter/sweet decision. Although, it did bring me to you and your amazing husband, which has been too long since I have seen either of you! Love yOU!